Saturday, October 08, 2005

An escape

I was sitting in the music room and heard loud squaking... I own chickens, but it sure sounded like a duck to me. Plus, Shirley and Chicken Little aren't very vocal. I go outside to investigate and I look around for a duck, but it's Chicken Little standing in the middle of the chicken tractor, standing tall and yelling as loud as she can. Shirley is running around in circles, ruling out my first fear that she was hurt and Chicken Little was calling for help. It's windy and cold so I think maybe they're upset for that reason... but they're chickens. (Plus, "cold" is only like 55 degrees)

I walk up closer to see what the deal is, and I can't see anything wrong at first. Finally, I see why Shirley's running in circles. Somehow, a baby squirrel found it's way into the coop and is desperately trying to get out. I mean, desperately. It's not just running around on the ground, it's scaling the wire and doing loop-da-loops around the screaming Chicken Little, and Shirley just thinks she's going to catch a meaty meal.

I scream, "A Squirrel!" but nobody comes to look so I'm the only one that gets to watch the spectacle. I open the door and wait for Shirley to chase the squirrel out, but it's too busy poking it's nose through the chicken wire. Finally I poke my toe at it and it escapes. I never even got to see where it went. Chicken Little didn't shut up till it was gone either.

I still don't know how a squirrel would have gotten in there... See:

Chicken Tractor
Originally uploaded by Sarah EKD.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home